Who would have thought that 2020 would be so disruptive?
Here’s a quick-fire response to fear.
How can you manage fear?
Fear and uncertainly are normal human responses.
Take a moment to acknowledge the state that you are in and become honest with how you are feeling, what constantly occupies your mind and where you are spending most of your energy.
It is OK not to feel OK.
Do not try to change how you feel. Just observe the reactions and emotions.
- What is it doing to your body?
- Are you tightening your shoulders, jaw or eyebrows?
- What is it doing to your state of mind?
- Where do your thoughts go?
- What are you focusing on?
- Once you have become aware of your current state, take a moment to observe it [fear and uncertainty] in others around you.
- How did they respond?
- What were they like to be around?
- What would you tell them?
How are the emotions or thoughts are serving you right now?
You have a right to choose your response to any situation. Don’t let yourself become a slave to your emotions. Simply by acknowledging them and bringing them to light, you can learn to consciously act instead of ‘react’.
Life has always been uncertain.
The mind likes comfort, control and predictability. It can quickly find and create patterns that cause disillusionment, doubt, fear, anxiety and uncertainty.
The reality is, no one knows what is going to happen in the next few weeks, or even in the next 5 minutes.
If you had to reflect on your life as a whole, uncertainty has always been a part of it.
The only thing you can be certain of is the unpredictability of life.
Continue to build strength and courage through this time so that you can thrive in and beyond it.